Tina L. Orwall, M.S.W.
Washington State Representative, 33rd District
Deputy Speaker Pro Tempore
As a legislator, strategic planner in health care and workforce development, affordable housing advocate, and community leader, Tina has fought for improved services and responsive government for people throughout the Puget Sound.
For more than a decade Tina has exemplified her commitment to the most vulnerable populations of Washington through her work as an advocate for the homeless, PTSA president of Marvista Elementary School, co-chair of the King County Legislative Action Committee, and as a legislator. As a well-seasoned social worker and advocate, Tina knows that the government and private sector must work together to solve our state’s big problems. She created a nationally recognized public–private funding partnership with local government and foundations that resulted in over 1,000 units of housing for homeless individuals, including units dedicated to homeless veterans. In 2011 she sponsored the Foreclosure Fairness Act to give struggling homeowners tools and assistance to better navigate the foreclosure process. The measure included provisions for homeowners to meet with the lender and a mediator to explore every alternative to foreclosure.
Tina is an active member of the Des Moines Rotary Club and Kent Chamber of Commerce. She serves on the boards of Judson Park retirement community in Des Moines, the United Way of King County Out of the Rain Impact Council and the Economic Opportunity Institute. She also currently works as a consultant/grant writer (sole proprietor).
University of Washington: Bachelor of Science Degree of Psychology 1988; and Master of Social Work in Administration, 1991.
Legislative Committee Assignments
- Government Operations & Elections
- Co-Chair, Joint Committee on Veterans and Military Affairs, June 2011
- Legislative-Executive WorkFirst Oversight Task Force, July 2011
- Washington Consumer Foreclosure Remedies Fund Committee, April 2012
- Statewide Coordinating Committee on Sex Trafficking, July 2013
- Commercially Sexually Exploited Children Statewide Coordinating Committee, July 2013
Tina worked for the City of Seattle, Office of Housing as the Washington State Taking Health Care Home Coordinator. She was formerly active in the following governmental partnerships:
- Washington State Policy Academy on Co-Occurring Disorders
- King County Veteran’s Group Consortium Steering Committee member; Co-Chair of the Supportive Housing Alliance for Veterans (SHAVET).
Awards and Recognition
- Innocence Champion Award, Innocence Project Northwest, May 2014
- Washington State Psychological Association Legislative Service Award, September 2013
- Washington State Chapter of the National Association of Social Work Unsung Hero Award, September 2013
- Forefront’s Tina Orwall Policy Award for Outstanding Leadership in Suicide Prevention, September 2013
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program Hero’s Award, April 2013
- Parent Trust for Washington Children Laura Smith Brown Children’s Champion Award, November 2012
- Early Learning Action Alliance Gold Crayon Award, September 2012
- Seattle/King County Coalition on HomelessnessKing County Legislative Champions Award, July 2012
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Washington Legislator of the Year Award, June 2012
- Washington Mediation Association State of the Art Award, May 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium Excellence in Affordable Housing Award for Advocacy, October 2011
- Statewide Poverty Action Network Legislative Champion Award, September 2011
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Housing Hero Award, June 2011
- South King Council of Human Services Kathy Keolker Leadership Award, June 2010
- Washington Low Income Housing Alliance Legislator of the Year, March 2010
- VA Partnership Award, March 2008
- Democrat of the Year Award, 2006
- Washington State Coalition for the Homeless Advocate Award, May 2004
- CODIAC Recognition Award, 2003
- DASA and MHD CODIAC Leadership Award, 2001